Friday, September 13, 2013

First home made ice-cream and healthy at that

Amazingly I have never made home made ice-cream before. Will all the fresh milk we go through making a litre of Kefir every day and the LOADS of cream we take off the top of it - I decided it was time to give it a try. Kerry had told me she uses her cream to make ice-cream for her family every week so I asked her for her recipe. It's nice to get a recommendation and some personal instruction and tips.
Basic ingredients:
4 eggs (separated)
300ml cream
1/2 cup sugar (I ground up my Xylitol so that it's "sugar free" too).
Something special to add a flavour. This time I used some Skinny chocolate I had made and chopped into small pieces (which is healthy chocolate made with coconut oil, cocoa powder, ground xylitol and I always include some pieces of nuts).
Instructions:
Beat up 1/4 cup "sugar" with the egg yolks (I could not believe how light they became)
Beat up 1/4 cup "sugar" with the egg whites till nice and stiff.
Beat the cream.
Carefully but as quickly as you can - combine all the ingredients and place in a container that you have chilled in the freezer. I found it was just too much for a 2 litre container but the girls were all happy to help empty the mixing bowl. :-)
The quicker you work the less "ice" you have on the bottom of the container once it has set. Kerry has been able to get it done really quickly and only gets a very little bit of ice. I did have some ice on the bottom of mine but it will be eaten happily by someone. :-)

No comments: